Thursday 12 April 2012

Ladies who lunch... and do a little more!

Arriving in Sarajevo, I knew no one so had to work very hard at meeting new people, so I
was not sat in on my own all day.

I was told about a group of international ladies who had got together and formed a charity, raising money for local causes related to children and women - Helping Hands and Hearts Foundation. I managed to get invited to one of their meetings, which doubled as a session to put together 'care packages' for children at the local hospital. I walked into a group of lovely lovely women who all welcome me with open arms and made me feel immediately at home.

Primarily the Foundation fundraises money which then goes towards a number of local
causes including, a local orphanage, children's ward and children's cancer ward at the hospital. The money raised really makes a difference to those who are touched by it, be it by redecorating rooms at the orphanage or distributing monthly packages and gifts to children in hospital.

Within the group, nationalities are represented from across the world from the Netherlands and Turkey to the Philippines and South Africa. Like me, many of them are in Sarajevo as their husbands and partners had secured jobs over here. We meet once a week for lunch, which I really enjoy. It is of course a great excuse for a good old chat, but equally, we have the opportunity to make plans for the foundation and exchange information on events taking place around the city.

I am looking forward to becoming more involved with the Foundation and being able to
do my bit to make a difference to a few lives in Sarajevo.

No comments:

Post a Comment