Monday 16 April 2012

Baking, whisking and simmering

It has been a productive morning in the kitchen here at Bespoke British Baking. Having not baked for a couple of weeks, I had withdrawal symptoms, so made up for it by knocking up a selection of goodies this morning!

I have started with making some chicken stock, this is something I always plan to make after cooking a roast, but never actually get around to it. It couldn’t be easier, simply throw the chicken carcass, bones etc... all into a big pan, add an onion, carrot leek (and any other old looking veg lurking at the bottom of the fridge). Add cold water and bring to the boil. Then simmer for several hours. I am planning on a chicken risotto for supper this evening, so the stock will really add depth and flavor.

I then got the mixer out to make some Viennese Finger biscuits. I am off out to lunch today, so thought I would take a small batch with me, additionally I am spending tomorrow decorating an orphanage for the charity I work with, so I thought some biscuits will be much needed for tea breaks! These are super easy to make and take no time at all and are a perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee.



I was then left with four egg whites from the biscuit recipe, so thought I would try out my new Kenwood mixer on making some meringues – it does boast that it can mix up to 16 egg whites at once! As anticipated, the mixer worked a treat and saved a lot of arm muscle through beating by hand! These are now in the oven, I have set the timer so they can finish cooking whilst I am out... so fingers crossed I have followed the instructions correctly!

All in all as successful and busy start to the week, my commute to the kitchen is much improved on what I was used to in London.

Viennese Fingers (makes approx. 20)

100g softened, unsalted butter
40g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
1.5tsp vanilla essence
125g all purpose flour
100g cooking chocolate, chopped
30g butter (for icing)
Preheat oven to 180degs and line two baking trays with baking paper.
Cream the butter and icing sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually add the egg yolks and the vanilla and mix thoroughly. Sift in the flour and using a flat bladed knife, mix until combined and the mixture is smooth.
Place the mixture into a piping (icing) bag fitted with a fluted 1cm nozzle and pipe the mixture into wavy 6cm lengths on the baking sheets.

Bake biscuits for 12 minutes or until golden brown and then place on a wire rack to cool.

For the icing, place the chocolate and butter in a bowl and place in a microwave for 30 second intervals until melted, keep an eye on the chocolate so it doesn’t burn, mixing it regularly. Dip half the biscuits into the chocolate and set back on the baking sheets to set and cool.

Store in an airtight container for up to two/three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment