Wednesday 18 July 2012

Weddings, cakes and a trip back to the UK

As I anticipated, the year we move overseas, we would be inundated with invitations to 30th birthday parties and weddings... and I was right!
So far, it couldn't have worked out any better, we had two weddings in June and they coincidently fell on consecutive weekends, meaning only one flight home! We managed to make the most of it and have a two week trip back, which was split by time in Sussex, Tamworth and London, so we managed to see almost everyone we wanted to (with a few exceptions).

The first wedding was my fab friend Carol, who married the lovely Mark at a beautiful hotel in Haselmere in Surrey. I had a fairly large role to play and made the 80 wedding cupcakes, along with taking the wedding photos! Making the cupcakes was a military operation, but even if I do say so myself (and having received a lot of feedback...) they were great! Lemon sponge and lemon butter icing, topped with glitter looked beautiful piled up on the 5 tier cupcake stand. It helped that I borrowed a very beautiful kitchen, which, if I was going to have relocate anywhere and not use my own oven/equipment (which is always a concern when doing something of this magnitude), it couldn’t have been a nicer experience!




The wedding photographs were never going to be as easier a task... however, at the last minute my father offered to help me, he is quite handy with a camera and I have to say, I am not sure what I would have done without him! We worked very well together, I am not sure why this surprised me, but it did. He was quick to establish the role as the photographer, and I became assistant very quickly! But this suited me as I could round up the guests for the various photos we required, a job which was a bit like herding cats...! In true British style, the weather let us down towards the end and rain meant we have to abandon the last few group photos, but we managed to get a lovely selection, which will provide the happy couple with some lovely memories.






The second wedding saw my boyfriend play a large role, as one of the Best Men. Kev and Amy had a wonderfully traditional wedding near Tamworth, a fantastic country church, followed by a lavish reception at a gorgeous country house hotel. The detail which went into this wedding was impeccable, Pimms flowed on the terrace, with the back drop of some wonderful mood setting live music. The food was fantastic, honestly some of the best wedding food I have eaten and this went a little way to soaking up some of the wine which was consumed! The Best Man's speech was a triumph, it sailed close to the bone, but was appropriate for the family audience! The evening came and went in a blur of wine and a lot of dancing! All in all, a great day! 



Following weddings, and time with the families, we made our way back to London. The city was still buzzing from the Jubilee celebrations and there was a real sense of anticipation about the forthcoming Olympics. Flags were flying high and proud on every building and I listened with amusement to a number of commuters whining on the phone about their awful commutes as a result of traffic/transport disruptions because of the Games... something’s will never change! We made the most of the shopping, stocked up on bacon and sausages, ate so much spicy Asian food that i almost turned into a noodle and then jumped back on a plane home!


So, there is definitly one more wedding on the cards this year... and with a number of friends hvaing recently got engaged, I am hoping they might all wait until 2014...when we are back!

No comments:

Post a Comment