Wednesday 9 January 2013

Christmas crumpets


Whilst skiing a couple of days ago, I received a text from my other-half (who I had left at home) asking, 'where are the scales'... to which I replied 'why'?! He had decided that he wanted to make crumpets, again one of those lovely wintery tea-time treats which you can’t pick up in the supermarkets here. So, I provided the required answer and did not think anything more of it!

I got home a couple of hours later to find a huge mixing bowl on the side and a strong smell of yeast coming from it! He had actually made crumpets!  

This did come as a slight surprise, but I was delighted. As with my hot-cross bun experience back at Easter, crumpets are the kind of things that you can just get from the shops in the UK and I had never given much thought as to how they are made.  

Anyway it turns out they are cooked by frying them on the hob in a biscuit cutter and then they can be eaten fresh from  the frying pan, or saved until later and heated in the toaster. Even the homemade batter makes the little crumpety holes and the texture was absolutely spot on!  

All in all, they were a triumph and I am going to encourage him to bake more often (especially when I am off skiing)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment